Thursday, March 29, 2012

DBCC Shrinkfile

Hi,
Can someone tell me of some the reasons why DBCC Shrinkfile does not shrink
the size of the log file in my SQL Server 2000 server? After backing up the
log file, I tried to shrink the physical size of the log file to 2000 MB but
it gave me an error (which I can't remember) even though the actual used siz
e
(not phyical) was like 1500 MB. I tried again with a larger number, 5000 MB
and this time it worked.
TIA.When you have problems shrinking, you should check for open
transactions using dbcc opentran
You also need to keep in mind that an active portion of the
log can't be impacted. So if you have an active portion of
the log at the end, you won't be able to shrink. You can
check this using dbcc loginfo(YourDatabase). A status of 2
indicates it's active.
Make sure you aren't needlessly shrinking. It should be more
of an ad hoc process - after some out of control process
blows out the size of the log type of thing.
You can find more information in the following article and a
more thorough explanation of what you see with dbcc loginfo:
http://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_dont_shrink.asp
-Sue
On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:19:02 -0700, Rob
<Rob@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>Can someone tell me of some the reasons why DBCC Shrinkfile does not shrink
>the size of the log file in my SQL Server 2000 server? After backing up the
>log file, I tried to shrink the physical size of the log file to 2000 MB bu
t
>it gave me an error (which I can't remember) even though the actual used si
ze
>(not phyical) was like 1500 MB. I tried again with a larger number, 5000 MB
>and this time it worked.
>TIA.

No comments:

Post a Comment