Thursday, March 29, 2012

DBCC SHRINKFILE ('filename' , EMPTYFILE) not working

I created a file (size = 1 GB, filegrowth=1 GB) but I forgot to add it to th
e
correct filegroup (it defaulted to the primary).
I am trying to use DBCC shrinkfile with the emptyfile option so that I can
then go and do a 'alter database remove file'. I start the process and with
sp_who2 active it shows the command DbccFilesCompact, but it just sits there
and spins forever.
I see cpu and diskio cycles escalating but nothing ever happens.
is there a step before this that i am forgetting?
setup is: x64 sql 2005, sp1 (windwos 2003 ee x64), db in simple recovery
model.
gracias,
Roberti should state a few more facts.
It is a data file (not log), and the whole DB 1.8 TB. The file is only 100G
B.
I have tried to backup just that filegroup (only 1 file in it) and do a
emptyfile right afterwards but no luck...
"sql411@.nospam.com" wrote:

> I created a file (size = 1 GB, filegrowth=1 GB) but I forgot to add it to
the
> correct filegroup (it defaulted to the primary).
> I am trying to use DBCC shrinkfile with the emptyfile option so that I can
> then go and do a 'alter database remove file'. I start the process and wi
th
> sp_who2 active it shows the command DbccFilesCompact, but it just sits the
re
> and spins forever.
> I see cpu and diskio cycles escalating but nothing ever happens.
> is there a step before this that i am forgetting?
> setup is: x64 sql 2005, sp1 (windwos 2003 ee x64), db in simple recovery
> model.
> gracias,
> Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment