Thursday, March 29, 2012

DBCC SHRINKFILE

I have recently changed the indexes ina large table in our database. I have
a lot of excess unused space ,approx 64GB, in the .MDF and want to give it
back to Windows 200 Server.
Our .MDF is not in the SQL DATA directory it is on another volume.
Is there a way to specify a path to another volume when using DBCC SHRINKFIL
E?
Right now I am forced to use DBCC SHRINKDATABASE and it is taking a long tim
e.
TIA,
-BenDBCC SHRINKFILE doesn't care where the file is as it uses the logical
filename. There is no reason you need to use SHRINKDATABASE.
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"Ben" <Ben@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:33AB1ADE-1D27-45F0-A054-B6F4B5F88727@.microsoft.com...
>I have recently changed the indexes ina large table in our database. I
>have
> a lot of excess unused space ,approx 64GB, in the .MDF and want to give
> it
> back to Windows 200 Server.
> Our .MDF is not in the SQL DATA directory it is on another volume.
> Is there a way to specify a path to another volume when using DBCC
> SHRINKFILE?
> Right now I am forced to use DBCC SHRINKDATABASE and it is taking a long
> time.
> TIA,
> -Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment